Previous walks      Weather     Links    
Search Dartmoor CAM

#htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption

Back to previous page

The Burrator places called "Lowery"

Welcome to the Magical Mystery Tour - this topic has exercised me far too long!

Confusion exists around the precise locations of .....

The sources used here are .....

The confusion arises partly because one place (Higher Lowery) took the name of another (Lower Lowery) after the former was abandoned. Another reason is that early Ordnance Survey maps show Higher Lowery to the north of Devonport Leat, this being logical after the renaming took place. Then there is the question of Lowery Cottage and East Lowery .....

 


 

Lower Lowery

The first , original Lower Lowery site, information (shortened) on the Heritage Gateway web site .....

HER Number: MDV20621
Name: Deserted farmstead at Lowery, Burrator

Summary

No longer extant; probable medieval farmstead in use until the mid-late 19th century. Effectively destroyed when the road around the reservoir was made. Named as Lower Lowery on the Tithe Map; the farm to the north later took this name, although on the Tithe Map it was then known as Higher Lowery.

Location

Grid Reference: SX 555 690

Monument Type(s) and Dates

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880 - 1899, First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

One single building shown remaining on the late 19th century historic map. Farmstead not marked and appears to be out of use by this time. Map object based on this source.

 

Greeves, T. A. P., 1979, South West Water Authority Burrator Survey, No.72 /plans in SMR (Report - non-specific). SDV278356.

Lower Lowery Farm. Deserted site. Farm with several buildings marked on 1840 Tithe Map. No surviving remains. The site was finally destroyed when the road around the reservoir was made. One building still survived in 1906. One building shown on 1887 historic map.

Copyright guidance - Information from the Devon & Dartmoor Historic Environment Record

In other words, this original site, believed to date from 1256-1417 was destroyed by the building of the road around the modern reservoir and / or subsequent afforestation.

 


Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland
and
Memory-Map Europe, with permission.

The image above is a composite old OS map overlying a Bing Map layer, where the present Lower Lowery barn is indicated by the white pointer at the top of the image and the old, original site of Lower Lowery is similarly indicated near the centre of the image. The OS map indicates the old site at Lat / Long -4.0381,  50.5035. The inset is a Memory Map image with this Lat / Long converted to a National Grid Reference, SX 55564 69063.  This is just inside the fence, about 30 metres from the stile. 

 


Tithe map
Reproduced from the Ordnance Survey mapping with the permission of the controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office Crown Copyright.
Unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown copyright and may lead to prosecution or civil proceedings. Licence no. 100019783

 

Tithe maps were drawn in the decade following the Tithe Commutation Act, 1836.  This replaced the payment of tithes "in kind", a tithe was a tenth of any produce grown etc. payable to the Church monasteries, and after their dissolution they were paid to landlords.  Tithes were then paid in cash, for the mostpart. Each map was accompanied by an Apportionment Schedule, this numbered each item and listed whether tithes were to be paid to the owner or the Crown.

The section of tithe map above shows "Higher Lowery", which is today's Lower Lowery. Parcel 707 show a homestead which was later called Higher Lowery on the 1st Edition 1887 25-inch single sheet OS map - this was also known as Lowery Cottage.  An unlabelled homestead shown north-east of this that was known as East Lowery.  Towards the bottom of the map is the original "Lower Lowery", now lost.  Once, one location was known as Middle Lowery - presumably today's Lower Lowery (marked as Higher Lowery on this tithe map)..

This should dispel any confusion! 

 


 

Lower Lowery (formerly called Higher Lowery and possibly Middle Lowery)

Present-day Lower Lowery, with the restored barn

HER Number: MDV20611
Name: Lower Lowery farm, Burrator

Summary

Deserted medieval farmstead, named as 'Higher Lowery' on the Tithe Map. Deserted farm complex dating to the medieval period. Was occupied into the early 20th century. One barn continued in use as a store in the later 20th century. Appears to have changed its 'Higher' for 'Lower' after the demise of the original Lower Lowery to the south.

Location

Grid Reference: SX 556 692

Monument Type(s) and Dates

Full description

 

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848, 34/55 on pdf (Cartographic). SDV349431.

'Higher Lowery' is depicted on the Tithe Map. Plot numbers: 738,740,741 (house, court and garden). Farmhouse lies on the eastern side of the farm, with another building on the northern side of the yard. Collection of three smaller buildings to the west of the yard.

Ordnance Survey, 1880 - 1899, First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map shows the farm has expanded to the west, with a further range of buildings added. Marked as 'Lower Lowery' on this map. Map object partly based on this source.


Greeves, T. A. P., 1979, South West Water Authority Burrator Survey, No.60, plans (in smr) (Report - non-specific). SDV278356.

Lower Lowery Farm. Deserted farm complex. Recorded on 1840 Tithe Map as Higher Lowery. Complex of farm buildings, all of which are ruined except one barn which is used as a store by the South West Water Authority and is in good condition. The south wall of this barn has two stones "M L" and "1875" in it. Still occupied early in the 20th century. A new dwelling house was built on the west side of the lane between 1840 and 1882-3.

Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Parts of the outline of the farmstead still visible on the modern mapping, along with the remaining building. Map object based on this source.

 

Associated Monuments

MDV20621 Related to: Deserted farmstead at Lowery, Burrator (Monument)
MDV20614 Related to: Higher Lowery deserted farm, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV12732 Related to: Leathertor Deserted Medieval Farmstead, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV3441 Related to: Stone cross at Lowery, Burrator (Monument)

 

Copyright guidance - Information from the Devon & Dartmoor Historic Environment Record

 

 


 

 

Higher Lowery (now disappeared) - built 1807 as the leatman's cottage, also called Lowery Cottage

Shown north of the Devonport Leat on old maps - e.g. OS 6-inch 1886 - single sheet map, showing the area before the reservoir was built. Surveyed 1886.

 
Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland
Ordnance Survey 1890s-1920s 25-inch map

 

Higher Lowery Devonport Leatman's House,

Built 1807, by the Dock Water Company, occupied until 1922, 115 yrs.
Devonport Leat was contracted 1793 and completed 1801
Dock became renamed Devonport in 1824

Photograph used by kind permission of The Dartmoor Trust Archive

 

HER Number: MDV20614
Name: Higher Lowery deserted farm, Walkhampton

Summary

No longer extant. Farmstead dating to at least the early-mid 19th century, based on cartographic evidence, although may have had earlier origins. Not originally called Higher Lowery; see Tithe Map. Dwelling and additional farm buildings depicted on the historic maps but the farm appears to have declined and only the house remained, occupied until around 1922.

Location

Grid Reference: SX 557 694

Monument Type(s) and Dates

Full description

 

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848, 36/55 on pdf (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Homestead is depicted on the Tithe Map and comprises just a single building with associated land plots. 784 on the Walkhampton apportionment; 'Tenement near Lowery' (house and court).
 

Ordnance Survey, 1880 - 1899, First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Higher Lowery is depicted on the late 19th century historic map. By this time, the farmhouse appears to have been altered (perhaps extended) and there are at least two new buildings depicted at the farm.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The early 20th century historic map shows the farm is largely unchanged from the late 19th century historic map depiction. Map object based on this source.

Haynes, R. G., 1966-1969, Ruined Sites on Dartmoor, 74 (Un-published). SDV150434.

Higher Lowery. Deserted farm. Otherwise known as Lowery Cottage. Marked as "tenement near Lowery" on 1840 Tithe Map. Now a complex of ruined buildings.

Greeves, T. A. P., 1979, South West Water Authority Burrator Survey, no. 63 (Report - non-specific). SDV278356.

Occupied until around 1922 by an employee of the Plymouth Corporation. The cottage seems to have been destroyed intentionally and only the lavatory remains intact. Water came from a higher level via an iron pipe to a granite trough. The building was of mortared stone.

Sherd found at Higher Lowery (undated).
Sherd of 17th/18th century gravel-tempered ware from site of Higher Lowery.
Rim sherd, body sherd and abraded fragment of pot of 16th/17th century from debris of wall at site of Higher Lowery.
Stoneware sherd (17th/early 18th century) from Higher Lowery.
(N.B. Although these are all described as being from Higher Lowery, these finds were originally located at the site of East Lowery; roughly SX558 694) A F Richards.
03/06/1977: Sherds of glazed xviii and xix century pottery have been found at this site (N. B. Assumed to mean Higher Lowery as the grid reference matches the site) A F Richards.

Copyright guidance - Information from the Devon & Dartmoor Historic Environment Record

 



 

Addendum 1 - If THIS OLD MAP is examined (OS 25-inch 1890s-1920s) and and the blue round slider is moved to the LEFT, to show the underlying Google Satellite view, it will be seen that the modern road appears just north of the building on the old map - this was probably the original Lower Lowery.

Addendum 2 - From Mike Brown (2001) Guide to Dartmoor, CD-ROM, Dartmoor Press, ref. 55756942.

Some large rocks and the paltry remains of some foundations overlooking the little streamlet which flows along the west side of the large patch of greensward are all that remain of Lowery Cottage, built in 1807 by the Plymouth Dock Water Company Dock is the old name for Devonport. The property entry is written thus on the first page which was newly opened under the company heading (named as the lessees) in the Maristow estate rental ledger of 1808

 

               29th Sept 1808 Rent of a Cottage and a Plot of ground lately built and

                              Inclosed from Lowery Steant, granted to them for 30 years from

                              Michaelmas 1807

The name of Dock was changed to Devonport in 1824.

 


 

East Lowery

East Lowery Farm

HER Number: MDV20615
Name: East Lowery Farm deserted settlement

Summary

No longer extant. Farmstead dating to at least the early-mid 19th century, based on cartographic evidence, although may have had earlier origins. Dwelling is depicted on the Tithe Map but not shown on the later 19th century historic map.

Location

Grid Reference: SX 558 694

Monument Type(s) and Dates

Full description

 

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848, 36/55 on pdf (Cartographic). SDV349431.

'East Lowery' is depicted on Tithe Map (plot number 788 on the apportionment; houses and court). Farm consists of a singled building in a subdivided triangular shaped plot. Map object based on this source.

Ordnance Survey, 1880 - 1899, First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

No sign of the building on the late 19th century historic map; the triangular shaped plot that the house occupied is depicted.

Greeves, T. A. P., 1979, South West Water Authority Burrator Survey, Number 64 (Report - non-specific). SDV278356.

East Lowery Farm. Deserted site. Complex of ruined buildings some probably medieval in origin. East Loworthy is documented in 1585. The area has recently been damaged by tree felling and sherds of 16th, 17th and 18th century pottery of both local and imported wares have been recovered. Not marked on Ordnance Survey 25 inch map.

Associated Monuments

MDV20614 Related to: Higher Lowery deserted farm, Walkhampton (Monument_

Copyright guidance - Information from the Devon & Dartmoor Historic Environment Record
 

 


 

Other local uses of the name "Lowery" .....

 

By about 1870, East and Lower Lowery were knocked down and replaced by a larger farmhouse (extrapolated from Rendell, p.22).  Perhaps this was today's Lower Lowery, with its present day barn? The datestone on the barn is 1873.

Back to previous page

 

 


 

 

All photographs on this web site are copyright © Keith Ryan.
All rights reserved - please email for permissions