Previous walks      Weather     Links    
Search Dartmoor CAM

#htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption #htmlcaption

 

 

 

A ruined tor that may have been the original Snappers Tor

Mike Brown (SX 5761 6922) mentions "an apparently un-named tor", in this area. This is located on the edge of a deep tinners' gert, into which some large rocks have fallen. The tor must have been quite impressive when it was intact. He suggests in his CD-ROM Guide to Dartmoor (2001) that to clarify the situation, this tor, with the two fields adjacent called Snappers, should be named Snappers Tor. The two tors visible from Middleworth are then referred to as West Middleworth and East Middleworth Tors (athough I would think the names "Middleworth" and "Little Middleworth" would have been more easily used in the past). 

Brown then goes on gleefully to muddy the waters further! He points out that at 5768 6937 is Little Down Tor, with its poised rock that looks like a logan stone. As this tor is in the higher Snappers field perhaps it should be called Higher Snappers and the one pictured below should be Lower or Little Snappers. Ho-hum .....

 


Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

The original Snappers Tor?

 

The blue circle, superimposed on the 1905 25-inch OS map above indicates the position of the ruined tor, or what remains of it, on the edge of the tinners' gert.  

The field to the north of the gert, marked "1110" in the OS surveyor's notebook, is plot 1074 on the 1840 Walkhampton tithe map (see below). In the tithe apportionments this is called "Snappers" and is part of "West Middleworthy".

The field to the south, marked "1095" in the surveyor's notebook, is plot 1096 on the tithe map, and in the apportionments this is also called "Snappers" and is part of "Middleworthy". The smaller numbers are acreages. 

The tithe apportionments further say that the landowner was Sir Ralph Lopes and the occupier of both tenements was Henry Pearse.

It seems reasonable that, with these fields both being called "Snappers" and there being signs of a lost tor alongside, that the tor may also have been called "Snappers".

 


Devon County Council

Section of the 1840 Walkhampton tithe map

 

Area of scattered rocks at SX 57684 69298, near the site of the ruined tor .....

 

View from inside the gert showing some of the rocks ..... the large rock at the top right was recorded as being at SX 57639 69257 .....

 

A bushy lichen growing on the end of a broken twig .....

 

As previous photograph.

 

Fallen rocks in the gert .....

 

Another view ..... the gert is about 30 feet deep at this point .....

 

Looking north in the gert .....

 

The walking pole is 5 ft 3 ins (1.62 metres) in length .....

 

Looking south down the gert towards Middleworth Lane - it becomes quite narrow and somewhat deeper down towards the trees - these are alongside Middleworth Lane. 

 Back to previous page 


 

All photographs on this web site are copyright © Keith Ryan.
All rights reserved - please email for permissions